Welcome to Carlton County
Carlton County partners with Extension to deliver practical education and research you can use at home, at work and in your community.
4-H Youth Development is a hands-on learning program for Minnesota youth. We offer online, small group and independent learning experiences for youth of all ages. In 4-H, youth choose the topic they find interesting and caring adults support their learning and leadership. From agronomy to space exploration and creative arts to outdoor adventures, 4-H has just the right learning experience for young people.
There are many ways to participate in 4-H!
Find the latest on Extension agricultural research and news you can use on your farm from local experts.
Statewide news and blogs
- Agricultural Business Management News - Business and financial resources for farmers.
- Beef News - Beef industry featured events, farm safety and animal health.
- Dairy News - Dairy industry featured events, farm safety and animal health.
- Fruit and Vegetable News - Local production and marketing of fruit and vegetable crops in Minnesota.
- Minnesota Crop News - Emerging issues affecting Minnesota row crops and forages.
Who are Master Gardener volunteers? They come from all walks of life and share gardening best practices that promote healthy landscapes, healthy foods and healthy lives. They complete a core course taught by University faculty and Extension educators. Upon completing the core course, they contribute their time teaching research-based horticulture practices in their communities.
The Carlton County group currently has 23 members and kept busy this gardening season by
collecting plants for a drive up plant giveaway, a virtual garden tour, maintaining outdoor public gardens and answering gardening questions from the general public.
The Carlton County group will welcome 8 new Master Gardeners for the 2021 gardening season and hope to resume their regular programming next year. If you are interested in becoming a Master Gardener volunteer or would like to receive programming notifications, please email Ann Rust, Volunteer Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office at 218-384-3511.
Find the latest gardening tips and news you can use in your own back yard from local experts.
- Yard and Garden News - Gardening tips and emerging issues affecting Minnesota.
- My Minnesota Woods - Find out how to take care of your trees and enjoy Minnesota's beautiful woodlands.
- Natural Resources News - From preserving our wetlands to combating invasive species, read about protecting and enjoying nature.
Contact the Carlton County Extension office, 218-384-3511
Minnesota Master Gardener Hotline
Health and nutrition
Extension offers a variety of educational programs about nutrition and health in Carlton County. These programs are open to families and individuals of all ages who are eligible for benefits through the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or who meet Extension’s program income guidelines.
Programs are offered in community settings such as food shelves, schools, community centers and public housing sites. The programs are free to all individuals and families who meet income guidelines, and may be offered in multiple languages, depending on the audience needs and availability of educators.
Carlton County Extension
Extension brings Minnesotans together to build a better future through University science-based knowledge, expertise and training. Learn more about Extension by visiting our about page and by browsing this website.