4-H Food & Nutrition Project
See this page in: English
What you'll do
Everyone eats, but not everyone makes healthy eating choices. Learn how to pick healthy foods, prepare nutritious meals and make smart food purchases. Discover the science behind making food and keeping it safe. Explore careers related to food and nutrition and more in this 4-H project.
Levels of learning
Get started with 4-H'ers in your area
Get started on your own
Iowa 4-H Food & Nutrition Project Hot Sheet (free download)
Fairs & exhibits
Food & nutrition
Make a video, poster or display about:
- How to read food labels
- Experiment with changing recipes and share the results
- Compare the cost of bought food vs. home made
- Plan, cook and serve a special meal for your family
- Make a recipe calendar for a gift - include a recipe for each month
- Collect a set of favorite recipes and present it
- Research sports drinks vs. water - share results via poster
- Make a video or poster about kitchen safety or food safety
- Compare food products on nutrition, cost and convenience
- Careers in the nutrition or food industry
- How food choices and physical fitness are related to diseases, such as cancer, heart disease, osteoporosis or diabetes
- Make a dietary plan for yourself, an athlete, a sedentary person, etc.
- Dried vegetables, fruit, meat, herbs
- 2 pint jars of different fruits, vegetables, james, jellies, preserves, pickles, meats, etc.
- 4-H food preservation project ideas (Video)
What a judge is looking for
- Food & nutrition (Eval sheet)
- Food revue (Eval sheet)
- Food preservation (Eval sheet)
- Food preservation project judging at the fair (Video)
- 4-H food preservation project guidelines for fairs (Video)
Some counties require record keeping for fairs.
Future study and careers
You could study food science & nutrition at the University of Minnesota.
There are many jobs in the food industry. Commercial cooks and food servers work in restaurants, hospitals and other large food service businesses. Nutritionists and dietitians are health care workers with expertise in food science and nutrition. A chef is a professional cook who runs a commercial kitchen.
Reviewed in 2018