Market area profiles
See this page in: English
Do businesses in your community know what their customers want?
Visitors to your community's retail stores have needs and expectations. Extension's market area profiles (MAP) give businesses a thorough description of their customers. They also help answer questions such as:
- What new businesses might succeed in your community?
- Does your business plan work for your market?
- How might you increase profits by changing your inventory or expanding your product lines?
- What community events or festivals would attract more customers?
How to get started
Contact your community economics Extension educator. He or she will help you decide on an approach to best analyze your community's trade area.
What is included with a market area profile?
Your community will receive:
- Market information directly from local consumers and business surveys
- An analysis customized to your customer base
- A discussion with your community about results, future plans and opportunities to increase sales
- Two consultations with a local study group to guide analysis
Cost: $1,500 – $4,000
Review our published market area profiles to learn more about work we've done in Minnesota communities.
- Chambers of commerce
- Economic development organizations
- Tourism organizations
- Local businesses
- Elected officials
Consult with us
Community economics • Leadership and civic engagement • Tourism
Extension educators work in communities with partners throughout Minnesota. Contact us for consultation, guidance and conversation about your community.