See this page in: English
- An educator looking to facilitate discussions with parents on school success?
- Looking for school success take and teach lessons to customize, based on parents interests?
If so than the Partnering for School Success take and teach lessons are for you!
About these lessons
These take and teach lessons teach parents how to better support their children's education. The lessons cover the six important factors for school success. [Read more about these factors on Research on the factors for school success.]
Lessons build upon tips presented in Parenting for school success: A guide for parents, the companion booklet.
There are two tools that help you determine parents’ needs in this area: a survey and survey “topic map.” Facilitators can mix and match any of the nine lessons for their audience.
Each lesson is one-hour in length.
All lessons and tools are available in English and Spanish.
For more information on these lesson plans, contact us.
For a more formalized curriculum on these topics, see Education: Our Best Legacy.
- Survey (PDF) — Assess class participants’ needs and determine topics for future discussions. [en español (PDF)]
- Survey Topic Map (PDF) — Match parents’ needs and to the specific lessons to address them. [en español (PDF)]
- Lesson 1: Parents make a difference (PDF) — Introduce parents to six factors important for helping children learn. [en español (PDF)]
- Lesson 2: Expectations (PDF) — Help parents understand how setting clear and reasonable expectations helps their children learn and succeed in school. [en español (PDF)]
- Lesson 3: Structure (PDF) — Give an overview of how structure and routine can help parents support their children’s education. [en español (PDF)]
- Lesson 4: Support (PDF) — Explore with parents how establishing structure and routine at home promotes children's learning and school success. [en español (PDF)]
- Lesson 5: Relationships (PDF) — Describe ways parents can develop positive and healthy relationships with their children. This will help them learn and succeed in school. [en español (PDF)]
- Lesson 6: Modeling (PDF) — Review how modeling good behavior contributes to their children's success in school and in life. [en español (PDF)]
- Lesson 7: Support (Planning for the future) (PDF) — Discuss the importance of graduating from high school and continuing education after high school; also identifies strategies for paying for college and other types of post-secondary education. (en español (PDF)]
- Lesson 8: Structure (Importance of family mealtime) (PDF) — Discuss how family mealtimes play in establishing structure at home. This structure helps support children's learning and success in school. [en español (PDF)]
- Lesson 9: Learning (Learning at home over summer) (PDF) — Describe ways parents can support their children's education at home over the summer. [en español (PDF)]