4-H Geology Project
See this page in: English
Which minerals should I eat? Which minerals are used to make cement, paint and light bulbs? Learn about materials, mythology of stones, careers and more in this 4-H project.
Levels of learning
Fairs and exhibits
- Research what type of equipment geologists use.
- Find a unique geologic feature in your area and research it.
- Collect iron ore samples from the iron range.
- Explain the process of turning iron ore into taconite or taconite to steel.
- Make a display or video about the hydrologic cycle.
- Polish rocks that you collect and explain the process.
- Make a video about how to classify rocks.
- Make a poster or video about glaciers, fossils, jewelry, or some other aspect of geology.
- Contact a geologist and find out about geology as a career choice.
- Demonstrate how a volcano works, or how glaciers shaped the landscape.
- Join the Geological Society of Minnesota
- Make a collection! Collect rock and mineral samples and label them.
- Make a glass display case for your collection or exhibit.
Reviewed in 2018