Minnesota 4-H Dairy Showcase
See this page in: English
"Recognizing the involvement, dedication, and passion of Minnesota's dairy youth."
The Minnesota 4-H Dairy Showcase is a unique recognition program that provides cash awards to recognize the involvement, passion, and dedication of Minnesota’s 4-H dairy youth. The program would not be possible without the support of businesses and organizations committed to the future of the Minnesota’s dairy industry. The 4-H Dairy Showcase takes place at the conclusion of the Minnesota State Fair 4-H livestock encampment.
State fair 4-H dairy cattle exhibitors who receive a purple or blue ribbon in their class will qualify for the showcase. Points will be earned for their involvement and success with the state fair interview process, dairy project bowl, dairy judging contest and showmanship. Youth will also complete an online leadership portfolio that awards points in the areas of 4-H and dairy industry involvement and leadership, along with community, school or church involvement. The portfolios will be judged by a panel of anonymous judges. All of these things will be compiled in a scorecard format. The top 25 applicants and up to 10 of highest scoring intermediate applicants will be announced Saturday evening following the dairy show.
The Minnesota 4-H Dairy Showcase planning committee annually reviews the Dairy Showcase program to assure it reflects the program's original intent.
Leadership profile application
- 2018 leadership profile application worksheet
- Online leadership profile - use this link to complete the online leadership profile. After you have completed the form (but before you submit), you will be given the opportunity to print your submission for your records. If you have any difficulties with the online leadership profile, please contact Karen Nelson, firstname.lastname@example.org.
As one of the top 25 or as a Rising Star, you will be recognized on the Sunday of livestock weekend at an event recognizing you, while also celebrating the Minnesota 4-H Dairy Showcase! Selected youth will receive a monetary award as a thank you for being part of our industry's bright future! The amount of each monetary award will be based on a sliding scale, determined by the total amount of money donated during the year.
Recognition for younger youth
Recognizing up to ten of the highest scorings showcase applicants who have just completed grades 6 - 9 and did not make the Top 25 with an award up to $500 per 4-Her. This new program within the showcase will be called the “Rising Stars.” The committee believes this addition will encourage younger 4-Hers, perhaps less accomplished as a result of shear years of experience, to still complete the leadership profile and strive for showcase recognition.
The easy-to-complete online leadership portfolio will ask about involvement and leadership in the dairy industry, 4-H, community, church and school. Two brief questions will give youth the opportunity to share what they have learned in the dairy project this past year and goals for the upcoming year. The current year leadership profile worksheet will be available before the state fair. Computers will be on hand at the fair for participants who can't complete the profile before they arrive.
Leadership profile judging
- The number of judges evaluating the Leadership Profiles was expanded from three to six. Judges will work in teams of two to evaluate and score profiles, ensuring scoring consistency.
- Judges’ feedback will be to those submitting leadership profiles. This feedback will include, at minimum, one positive comment and one suggestion for improvement. The feedback will be distributed back to the 4-Hers through their county office.
- There are improved and expanded instructions provided to 4-H members on how best to prepare their leadership profile. This will include tips for completing the profile and emphasize the importance of “describing your impact”.
- Increasing the number of 4-Hers eligible to receive points for showmanship excellence by awarding five points to anyone who makes the final round in their grade category.
- Updating the wording on the scorecard to better reflect any 4-Her who competes at the state dairy judging contest will earn ten points.
- Reducing the bonus points awarded for champion and reserve champion for both heifers and cows and for both type-only and total merit within each breed, as well as for registered and grade Holstein. The change will be from five points (champion) and three points (reserve champion) to four points and two points, respectively. While slight, the committee felt this change was a move in the right direction.
There is no age limit. All 4-H state fair dairy exhibitors are eligible and encouraged to apply, as long as their animal has received a purple or blue ribbon in their respective class that year and they value the experiences the dairy industry has offered them. There is no limit to the number of times a 4-Her can be recognized in the showcase.
Bradley W Rugg
Fairs & animal science programs director, Extension Center for Youth Development
Extension educator, Rochester Regional Center
Minnesota 4-H Dairy Showcase committee co-chair
email@example.com committee co-chair
Minnesota 4-H Dairy Showcase committee finance chair
Other dairy showcase steering committee members:
Individual news releases (right click to download/save)
- Leif Annexstad (DOCX | PDF)
- Emily Benrud (DOCX | PDF)
- Kelsey Erf (DOCX | PDF)
- Mikayla Erf (DOCX | PDF)
- Tess Hokanson (DOCX | PDF)
- Jacob Hornberg (DOCX | PDF)
- Brea Kieffer (DOCX | PDF)
- Emily Leonard (DOCX | PDF)
- Lacey Nelson (DOCX | PDF)
- Morgan Paulson (DOCX | PDF)
- Lukas Pierson (DOCX | PDF)
- Crystal Portner (DOCX | PDF)
- Sophia Portner (DOCX | PDF)
- Megan Ratka (DOCX | PDF)
- Isaac Rott (DOCX | PDF)
- Judd Saemrow (DOCX | PDF)
- Evelyn Scheffler (DOCX | PDF)
- Owen Scheffler (DOCX | PDF)
- Sierra Swanson (DOCX | PDF)
- Catherine Thompson (DOCX | PDF)
- Clara Thompson (DOCX | PDF)
- Collin Vinkemeier (DOCX | PDF)
- Kendra Waldenberger (DOCX | PDF)
- Paige Welling (DOCX | PDF)
- Morgan Wingert (DOCX | PDF)