What you’ll do
- How to safely operate an ATV
- Choose the right protective gear
- Interact responsibly with the environment
- Learn Minnesota ATV laws and regulations
- Take safety certification course (for grade 6+/age 10+)
Levels of learning
Get started with 4-H'ers in your area
- All activities are supervised by adults. Find a club near you or contact your local 4-H office for more info.
Get started on your own
Fairs and exhibits
- Demonstrate ATV safety gear and how to use it
- Make a poster, video or slide show about the parts of ATV
- Demonstrate how to perform a safety check
- Give a presentation on ATV history and use in recreation, agriculture, and other fields of work
- Create a report on ATV safety concerns and how they contribute to accidents
- Report on your work as a leader in this project
Interested in leading a 4-H ATV club?
Are you interested in being certified in forming or leading a 4-H ATV club? Is 4-H ATV safety a part of your current program? We developed a three-step process with options to help busy adults get the required certification needed to lead 4-H youth in this project area.
Components of the 4-H ATV Safety Leader Certification process
1. Attend a Minnesota DNR ATV Instructor Certification course. Choose one of two options:
- Minnesota 4-H will host a DNR training course on Saturday, Oct. 9, 8 a.m. - noon.
- Attend a DNR course on your own (send in proof of completion).
2. Attend the 4-H ATV Safety instruction. Choose one of two options:
- Virtual training on Aug. 16, 7-9 p.m.
- In-person training on Oct. 9, 5-7 p.m.
3. Attend a one day in-person training. The next scheduled training is Oct. 9, 1-5 p.m.
Registration for all components will be available in August and posted on this page. We are exploring options for spring of 2022. If you have additional questions, please contact Nicole Pokorney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reviewed in 2020