Recognizing the involvement, dedication and passion of Minnesota's dairy youth.
The Minnesota 4-H Dairy Showcase is a unique recognition program that provides cash awards to recognize the involvement, passion and dedication of Minnesota’s 4-H dairy youth. The program would not be possible without the support of businesses and organizations committed to the future of the Minnesota’s dairy industry. The 4-H Dairy Showcase takes place at the conclusion of the Minnesota State Fair 4-H livestock encampment.
State fair 4-H dairy cattle exhibitors who receive a purple or blue ribbon in their class will qualify for the showcase. Points will be earned for their involvement and success with the state fair interview process, dairy project bowl, dairy judging contest and showmanship. Youth will also complete an online leadership portfolio that awards points in the areas of 4-H and dairy industry involvement and leadership, along with community, school or faith based involvement. The portfolios will be judged by a panel of anonymous judges. All of these things will be compiled in a scorecard format. The top 25 applicants and up to 10 of highest scoring intermediate applicants will be announced Saturday evening following the dairy show.
The Minnesota 4-H Dairy Showcase planning committee annually reviews the Dairy Showcase program to assure it reflects the program's original intent.
Leadership profile application
- 2022 leadership profile application worksheet - use this downloadable worksheet to plan your responses into the required online application.
- Submit your 2022 leadership profile application online - use this link to complete the online leadership profile. This submission includes the photo upload (see below). After you have completed the form (but before you submit), you will be given the opportunity to print your submission for your records. If you have any difficulties with the online leadership profile, please contact Colleen Byrne, email@example.com.
- Photo Upload - You will be asked to upload a photo of yourself that can be used to recognize you, should you be selected for the Showcase or Rising Star program. Please upload in a Jpeg or PNG format. If you have any issues, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline to complete and submit a leadership profile application is noon on Thursday, Aug. 25.
As one of the top 25 or as a Rising Star, you will be recognized on the Sunday of livestock weekend at an event recognizing you, while also celebrating the Minnesota 4-H Dairy Showcase! Selected youth will receive a monetary award as a thank you for being part of our industry's bright future! The amount of each monetary award will be based on a sliding scale, determined by the total amount of money donated during the year.
Recognition for younger youth
This program within the showcase will be called the “Rising Stars.” The committee believes this addition will encourage younger 4-Hers, perhaps less accomplished as a result of shear years of experience, to still complete the leadership profile and strive for showcase recognition.
The easy-to-complete online leadership portfolio (see "How do I apply", above) will ask about involvement and leadership in the dairy industry, 4-H, community, faith-based and school. Two brief questions will give youth the opportunity to share what they have learned in the dairy project this past year and goals for the upcoming year.
Leadership profile judging
- Judges will work in teams of two to evaluate and score profiles, ensuring scoring consistency.
- There are improved and expanded instructions provided to 4-H members on how best to prepare their leadership profile. This will include tips for completing the profile and emphasize the importance of “describing your impact”.
- Increasing the number of 4-Hers eligible to receive points for showmanship excellence by awarding five points to anyone who makes the final round in their grade category.
- Updating the wording on the scorecard to better reflect any 4-Her who competes at the state dairy judging contest will earn ten points.
- Reducing the bonus points awarded for champion and reserve champion for both heifers and cows and for both type-only and total merit within each breed, as well as for registered and grade Holstein. The change will be from five points (champion) and three points (reserve champion) to four points and two points, respectively. While slight, the committee felt this change was a move in the right direction.
There is no grade limit. All 4-H state fair dairy exhibitors are eligible and encouraged to apply, as long as their animal has received a purple or blue ribbon in their respective class that year and they value the experiences the dairy industry has offered them. There is no limit to the number of times a 4-Her can be recognized in the showcase.
Extension educator, Rochester Regional Center
Committee finance chair
Other dairy showcase steering committee members:
Bradley W Rugg
- Makenzie Alberts
- Brooke Bauer
- Calvin Benrud
- Kelsey Biel
- Natalie Clemenson
- Hailey Frericks
- Kallie Frericks
- Alexis Hoefs
- Ashley Holst
- Katelyn Ketchum
- Brea Kieffer
- Kiley Lickfelt
- Margaret Molitor
- Megan Ratka
- Tyler Ratka
- Isaac Rott
- Lauren Rott
- Serena Schaefer
- Evelyn Scheffler
- Owen Scheffler
- Adhyn Schell
- Josephine Sutherland
- Shelby Swanson
- Clara Thompson
- Morgan Wingert