2021 Minnesota Structural Pest Management workshops
Due to Covid-19 restrictions, the annual conference will be delivered as a “study on your own” program. The in-person conference will not take place this year. Online workshops will be available from March 8 through June 1, 2021.
$150; add $90 for Category E
You can pay by credit card or check. Follow the instructions on the registration site.
Have your current license number ready to complete registration.
Available recertification categories
- Commercial: SPCA (Journeyman, Master), Fumigation, J, P, E
- Non-Commercial: S, M, N
- Completion of Fumigation, J, P, E and N requires participation in the entire program.
- Category E will be available for an extra fee.
Access to the materials requires a laptop or desktop computer or a tablet running a standard web browser application. You can also access the program on your smartphone, though the screen size may be a challenge.
- Allison Forcier, Forcier Event Solutions, firstname.lastname@example.org, 612-910-1580
- Stephen Kells, email@example.com, 612-625-4798
Due to Covid-19 restrictions, the 2021 Minnesota Structural Pest Management Conference will be held online (see above).
We are planning for the Fall 2021 Stored Grain Conference to be held in-person. Check back in March 2021 for updates.
SPCA: Structural Pest Control - Journeyman or Master. People licensed as a SPCA Journeyman or Master must attend an MDA approved recertification training and renew their license every year.
SPCA: Structural Pest Control - Fumigation Endorsement. SPCA Masters and Journeymen who also have a Fumigation Endorsement must recertify this endorsement at least every-other-year. Fumigation is offered annually as an add-on program to the main structural conference in March.
Category S: Structural noncommercial. People licensed as Category S (noncommercial) Applicators must attend an MDA approved recertification training and renew this license every year.
Category M: Food Processing noncommercial. People licensed as Category M (noncommercial) Applicators must attend an MDA approved recertification training and renew this license every-other-year. Category M is offered annually at the main structural conference in March and in odd years at the fall stored grain conference.
Category N: Stored Grain and Fumigation. People licensed as Category N Applicators must attend an MDA approved recertification training and renew this license every-other-year. Category N is offered annually at the main structural conference in March and in odd years at the fall stored grain conference.
You may recertify in additional categories if you participate in the main SPCA program. Other categories are required every other year and are available on this schedule:
- Even years: Category L (Mosquito, Biting Flies and Ticks)
- Odd Years: Categories J (Right of Way), P (Vertebrate Pests), and E (Turf and Ornamentals)
To check your certification status, go to the MDA licensing search page.
Learn more about pesticide applicator workshop and retesting recertification requirements from the Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA), including license types, certification categories, deadlines and fees.
Make sure you have the current manual for each category exam. Using an out-of-date manual may affect your ability to pass the exam.
New releases and editions
- Category L: Mosquito, Black fly, and Tick Pest Control, 2nd edition, July 2020
- Category M: Food Processing Pest Management and Category S: Structural Pest Control Applicator (SPCA), January 2020
- Category SPCA: Structural Pest Control Applicator For Master & Journeyman Applicators, January 2020
Category A: Core exam is based on two manuals
- (A-1) National Pesticide Applicator Core Manual, 2nd edition, 2014
- (A-2) Core Minnesota Supplement, 2nd edition (green cover), December 2012 (commercial, noncommercial and structural)
Most recent editions of commercial, noncommercial or structural manuals
- Category C: Agricultural Field Crops, March 2016
- Category E: Turf and Ornamentals, 4th edition, June 2014
- Category F: Aquatics, March 2016
- Category J: Natural Areas, Forestry and Rights-of-Way, 2nd edition, November 2016
- Category N: Stored Grain and Fumigation, January 2013 (commercial, noncommercial, structural and private applicators)
- Category O: Soil Fumigation, December 2012 (commercial, noncommercial and private applicators)
- Category P: Vertebrate Pests, 2nd edition, November 2016
Purchase printed manuals
Study manuals are available at University of Minnesota Bookstores.
- To purchase in store, please call ahead to the Coffman Memorial Union Bookstore or St. Paul Student Center Bookstore to be sure the study manuals you want are in stock.
- Order online with a credit card.
- Call 612-301-3989 to place your order and pay by check.
- Download an order form to mail your order.
Commercial/noncommercial pesticide program
Jolene C. Hendrix, Extension educator and program manager
Structural, stored grain and fumigation, and food processing certification
Stephen Kells, co-coordinator and Extension entomologist
Workshop registration assistance
Mary Ferguson, operations manager