Extension Regional Office, Moorhead
715 11th Street North, Suite 107C
Moorhead, MN 56560-2083
Communities where I work
Counties: Clay, Becker, Hubbard, Wilkin, Otter Tail, Grant, Douglas, Traverse and Wadena
- B.A., Political Science, University of Minnesota
- M.A., Teaching of Social Studies, Teachers College at Columbia University, New York, NY
Brian joined Extension in September 2014 as the Leadership and Civic Engagement educator in West Central, Minnesota. Prior to coming to Extension, Brian taught social studies at the Bronx Leadership Academy II in New York City. In 2008, he returned to Minnesota and served as an instructor and coordinator for the University of Minnesota's Campus Leadership Minor program, as well as the Bridge to Academic Excellence program. Brian has facilitated public work organizing workshops with faculty from the Center for Democracy and Citizenship, and in 2009 and 2010, he co-directed the launch of the Warroad Area Leadership Program for Girls (Now Girls Lead), a leadership program for high school girls in Warroad, Minnesota. Brian is excited to bring his skills and interests to serving the residents and communities of greater Minnesota.
Affiliations, Honors and Community Service
- Member: National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals (2015 - Present), Association of Leadership Educators International Leadership Association, Minnesota College and Personnel Association, Community Development Society, NACDEP, Academic Technology Informal Community of Practice
- Honors: Outstanding Eagle Scout of the Year, Twin Cities, MN (2002); Kappa Delta Pi International Honor Society for Education (inducted 2008); Recognition award for ten years of service to the University of Minnesota (2014)
- Arendale, D., & Fredrickson, B. (April 2007). Teaching with technology: Where students actually are on the learning curve. Paper presentation and roundtable discussion at the Teaching and Learning Conference, Academy of Distinguished Teachers, Center for Teaching and Learning Services, Digital Media Center, Minneapolis, MN.
- McFadden, C., Fredrickson, B. & Higdon, J. (2011). 21st century leadership literacies: Using the affordances of an online course as a case-in-point to engage learners in 21st century leadership practice. Presented at the EDULEARN11, Barcelona: International Association of Technology, Education and Development (IATED).