Drill team offers 4-H'ers a chance to develop leadership and teamwork skills and learn more about horses. It's a positive environment in which to gain mentoring skills. In drill team you'll learn coordination, timing, speed and synchronizing with other riders. Variety and creativity in dress and routine are encouraged.
Youth in grades 6 and up can participate, but you’ll have to be enrolled in Minnesota 4-H. Join now!
- New! Read the drill team procedures book.
- Each drill team must fill out the group release form.
- Read the drill team rules in the Minnesota 4-H Horse Program rulebook.
- Read the drill team manual.
- To keep entry fees down, we strongly encourage all 4-H’ers to secure a donation for the Minnesota 4-H Drill Team.
- Submit horse identification papers to your local Extension office.
- Registration is $75 per team. Example: If you have two teams competing in large group freestyle, the cost would be $150. If you have a team in every event, the cost would be $300.
- If you have more than one team in your county and they can’t attend the same regional event as the rest of the county team, that is permitted. Example: If you have a quad team and a compulsory team and they can’t compete at the same regional event, one team can attend the other regional.
- A horse and rider combination for drill team can be substituted up to the day of competition due to illness or injury as long as the horse was ID’d prior to the May 15 deadline. The process for the substitution will be as follows:
- The 4-H’er would need to contact their coach immediately to discuss the reason for the substitution of horses.
- The coach needs to contact Amy DeGroot at email@example.com to let her know about the substitution.
- No rider substitution is allowed-no exceptions.
- Stalling is available at Strait Rail Ranch. Contact them at 701-210-2947.
- Stalling is available at Kuka Equestrian Center. Contact them at 612-599-7299.
- All southern region competitors are required to fill out this Kuka Equestrian Center liability request form.
- Please keep your area clean. Pick up your trash and take it with you (horse manure, garbage, papers, food, etc.).
- All spectators and participants are encouraged to cheer on every team! Unsportsmanlike conduct will not be tolerated. Remember all kids worked hard to get here.
Lorrae Schneider, chair: firstname.lastname@example.org
Renee Kostick, Extension educator: email@example.com