4-H Lama Project
What you'll do
Llamas and alpacas (both members of the canelidae family) make excellent pets and working animals, and also produce wool for textiles. Learn about care, grooming, feeding, training, social behavior and communication, fiber types, guard lamas, showing, judging, careers and marketing.
Fun fact: Lama is the genus and llama (with two "l"s) is the species.
Levels of learning
Get started with 4-H'ers in your area
Get started on your own
Already involved in the lama project?
- Lama information sheet — posted Dec 20, 2019
- AnSci Updates for 2020 — posted Dec 20, 2019
- Animal ID (ID worksheets, forms, etc.)
- Animal science show requirements sheet for all species
- Animal premise ID
- Lama fleece judging at state fair guidelines — updated December 2018
- Leasing a 4-H animal
- Cloverbuds and animals
Join the Minnesota State Fair 4-H show committee
This is a leadership opportunity for 4-H members in grade 9 and up. Represent your fellow 4-H'ers on the livestock show committee, serving with adult volunteers.
What you'll do
- Attend two face to face meetings during the year as youth representative
- Participate in 2-4 calls during the year
- Staff a 4-H livestock information booth the first two days of the Minnesota State Fair
How to apply
Selected applicants will be notified in September and will be invited to a state fair meeting in October. This is a one-year experience, and you can apply for a second year.
Brian McNeill, Extension educator and advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Local livestock committees
You may be able to join your county 4-H livestock committee. Contact your local 4-H office for more information.
Fairs and exhibits
- 4-H lama record
- 4-H youth record keeping — reflect on your project and share it.
- Animal science project interviews evaluation - junior level (PDF)
- Animal science project interviews evaluation - senior level (PDF)
- Lama Showmanship Score Sheet
- Lama Performance Score Sheet (PDF)
- Lama Fleece Judging Score Sheet
You can exhibit
Contact your local 4-H office for sign-up deadlines and more info about how to get started showing your:
- Lama in costume class
- Lama in obstacle course class
- Lama in public relations class
- Lama in showmanship class
- Lama fiber
- Lama poster
See requirements for breeds, birth dates and animal ID. These are required for all lama shows (state and local).
Find out about livestock shows near you on your local 4-H website.
Reviewed in 2020