4-H Fruits & Vegetables Project
See this page in: English
What you'll do
Grow your own food! You might choose to grow the very useful potato or your favorite fruit or vegetable.
Explore how to plant, water, fertilize and prune your plant and how to manage weeds, insects and diseases. Learn which species grow in Minnesota's climate and design a plan for growing.
Levels of learning
Fairs & exhibits
- Explain the differences between a Russet, a Carola and a Yukon Gold.
- How are potatoes are best stored and cooked
- Make a report or display about potato varieties, crossbreeding and hybrids, genetics.
- How do various soils affect potato growth?
- What are the common potato pests? How will you deal with them?
- Make a display or report about potatoes in the human diet.
- Potato history: Where did potatoes come from?
- Show a basket of fruit you've grown
- Make a poster about parts of a plant and what they do
- Run a taste comparison of different varieties of fruit. Try using the scientific method to come up with a scientific answer
Reviewed in 2018