Knowing and growing retail trade
See this page in: English
Examine your community's retail economy
Retail markets are changing, and local retailers are challenged to stay competitive. Our programs help local businesses and community leaders maintain a competitive retail marketplace.
How we help
Extension's community economics educators create customized research reports that help your community know and grow the local retail economy. We'll present our findings and generate discussion that stimulates local action.
Market area profile
Who's shopping in your community? Knowing the answer to this question will help you meet customer needs and increase revenue. Learn about market area profiles
Retail trade analysis
Our customized analysis will reveal your retail strengths and weaknesses. Use these reports to plan and strengthen the local marketplace. Learn about retail trade analysis
Resources for retail development
Our online resources help communities think about the future of their retail sector.
- Downtown market analysis: This online guide helps you understand the changing marketplace. It also provides realistic opportunities for your community.
- Rural grocery stores: Extension has researched the needs and concerns of rural grocery stores.
- Business and marketing tools Increase your profit when selling farm products (PDF)
- Assess demand for a proposed business in your community
News and articles
- Study examines Minnesota’s changing retail economy
- Walmart communities find there is room for more: Walmart has changed the retail landscape in Greater Minnesota. What kind of businesses can thrive alongside the discount retailer?
- Good data is good retail therapy for Minnesota's communities
- Taking care of (existing) business — a community approach
- Digging into the dynamics of Greater Minnesota's economy
Contact an educator
For more information or help, contact a community economics regional educator near you.