4-H Regional and State Project Bowls
See this page in: English
Our second most attended event all year is the 4-H Project Bowl competition! Patterned after the golden-oldie television show College Bowl, 4-H Project Bowls challenge teams of 3-6 youth on their knowledge of these 4-H areas: Dairy, dog, general livestock, horse, lama, poultry, rabbit and wildlife.
There are four regional bowls, which lead to the state competition. Each has two divisions: Junior (grades 3-8) and Senior (grades 4 through 4-H graduation). Regional winners advance to the 4-H State Project Bowl. Winners at the state level in dairy, general livestock, horse and poultry go on to national contests!
Get your friends together, recruit a coach, study hard, and most of all have fun during the project bowl season!
Project Bowl references used for each contest are below. Each contest selects questions from the references provided each year. For the integrity of the contest, we do not release contest questions.
For participants in regional project bowls
Registration deadline: must be postmarked by February 3, 2020
The state 4-H bowl committee agrees it is important to increase bowl interest and participation, particularly for younger 4-H’ers. Therefore, they are offering a non-competitive “Bowling 101” category on a trial basis. This document will provide the only details for this activity.
4-H State Project Bowl: April 4, 2020
Winners in dairy, general livestock, horse and poultry will advance to the national contests. If your team qualifies for the State Project Bowl, you must sign up before you leave the Regional Project Bowl. If you do not sign up before you leave, you will forfeit your state trip.
The State Project Bowl registration form for Lama - due by March 20, 2020
April 4, Sauk Rapids - Rice High School
- Team registration: 8:30-9 a.m.
- Team orientation: 9 a.m.
- Bowls commence: 9:30 a.m.
Team confirmation letter - available after regional bowl
- Coaches of qualifying teams will receive confirmation letters when they sign up for the state contest.
T-Shirts and sweatshirts
- T-shirts and sweatshirts will be for sale at the State 4-H Project Bowl! The official design is still being drafted by Northwest Designs, but at previous State 4-H Project Bowls, 4-H members were able to have their names on the back of the shirts with a star by their name. Bring some extra money ... you may want to buy a shirt! The MN 4-H Project Bowl Program receives a portion of the sales.
Coach and volunteer information
Interested in coaching a 4-H Project Bowl team?
- 2020 Coaches training (webinar recorded 1/7/2020)
- The purpose of training is to prepare coaches to work with a bowl team and build the bowl program by developing confident coaches. On the webinar, we gave an overview of the bowl program, shared ideas for practices and answered questions.
Tentative 2021 Dates
- March 6
- March 13
- March 20
- March 27 (snow date)
- April 10 - State