Dilemmas in Youth Work: Self-guided online course
Youth workers face challenging situations in their daily work with young people. In this basics class, participants will learn what research tells us about
The range of youth work dilemmas
Responding to dilemmas in ways that meet the developmental needs of youth
Generating responses that balance competing concerns
This free, self-guided course gives practical resources for incorporating reflection and discussion of dilemmas in your work. It includes a bank of dilemma scenarios and related activities for use in your own practice.
How it works
- Go at your own pace (without a facilitator) through four modules that take about 30 minutes each. Additional time spent on application activities will vary.
- Learn on your own time. Unlimited 24-hour web access to the self-guided curriculum.
- Videos and activities help you take concrete ideas back to your program for use every day.
- Certificate for completing 4-hour training available at the end of the course.
- All our self-guided courses are free, but registration is required.
Participants can expect to
- Learn about dilemmas of youth work identified in a national research study.
- Respond to dilemmas in youth-centered ways.
- Formulate responses that balance diverse and often competing considerations.
- Take away practical resources to help build reflection and dilemma discussion into work with colleagues and peers, including a bank of dilemma scenarios and related activities.
- What does the research tell us?
- What categories do youth work dilemmas fall into? And how do these categories help us think about the dilemmas of everyday youth work?
- What are some of the features of effective responses to dilemmas of youth work practice?
- How do youth development and youth needs figure into a response to a dilemma?
- What are some of the concerns that may play into how one might respond to a dilemma?
- How can we identify those considerations?
- How can we balance competing concerns when crafting our response?
"Loved all of it! Sure to change the way I think about youth and how I work to best meet their needs especially in tough situations."
"This was directly related to the work I do and it helped me to really look at the impact my decisions have."
"It was good practice for me to think about the complexities of dilemmas from many perspectives. Thank you!"
"This training allowed me to enhance my skills and learn new ways and strategies of dealing with real life youth dilemmas. Thank you very much!"