The 2020 Science of Agriculture Challenge state event took place online on Monday, June 8. Five teams from four counties gave formal presentations sharing the agricultural issues they explored and the solutions they created to address those issues. Teams participated in a Facebook live team sharing showcase and learned about post-secondary educational opportunities at the University of Minnesota. Teams were recognized for their accomplishments through team awards from volunteer judges who represented the agriculture industry and educational entities.
The teams who participated and their projects
Each team gave a formal presentation and competed for scholarship funds to apply toward any post-secondary educational institution they choose to attend. Teams also worked to achieve a Community Engagement Award which focused on how they shared the story of their project through online presenting, radio interviews, print and social media.
- Team Big Stone County: Pork Production Amidst COVID-19
- Beyond the Farm, Le Sueur County: Teaching Youth About Agriculture Careers
- Donnay Duo, Meeker County: Organic Rabbit Cakes
- Apple Swiss, Mower County: Escherichia Coli in Water Runoff
- Hunger Helpers, Mower County: Food Insecurity
Overall team scholarship results
- 1st Place $1,000 - Le Sueur Beyond the Farm
- 2nd Place $750 - Team Big Stone County
- 3rd Place $500 - Meeker Donnay Duo
Engagement team award winners
- 1st Place - Le Sueur Beyond the Farm
- 2nd Place - Meeker Donnay Duo
- 3rd Place - Mower County Apple Swiss
Team awards from judges
- Inspiration Award - Meeker County Donnay Duo
- Making a Difference Award - Mower Apple Swiss
- Excellence in Presentation - Beyond the Farm
- Teamwork Award - Hungry Helpers
- Fortitude Award - Team Big Stone County
Learn more about the Science of Agriculture Challenge.
A special thank you to all the adult volunteer coaches and mentors who gave their time and support to each team. This year’s challenge was sponsored by the Minnesota Corn Growers Association.
State 4-H STEM Director