What's new with teens and their families?
What is normal teen behavior? How do families change through the teen years? The What's new with teens and their families? course addressed these questions and more.
This course helped professionals working with families of teens explore current research in:
Normal adolescent development and what it means for the parent-adolescent relationship.
The two-way relationship between teens and their larger family system. This included information on child agency and parenting styles.
Here are some of the more popular resources shared as part of this course.
- Adolescent and family development (Video) — Review the current research in normative adolescent and family development. Contact us for a transcript of this presentation.
- What do we mean when we talk about the family as a system? (Video) — Learn about family systems theory and how it applies to families with adolescents. Contact us for a transcript of this presentation.
- Bi-directionality in the family system (Video) — Explore the two-way nature of diverse families. Contact us for a transcript of this presentation.
- Discussion questions: What's new with teens and their families — Discuss this topic with your colleagues.
- The five basics of parenting adolescents — Reinforce that parents still matter in a teen’s life. These messages make a great addition in newsletters.
- Website evaluation criteria — Easy-to-use tool to check websites for quality.
Reviewed in 2018