4-H Crop and Plant Science Project
What you'll do
Do you like science? Want to know how to grow crops?
Find out how a tiny seed can become a plant for food, flowers or medicine! Learn about the parts of a plant, photosynthesis, cross-pollination, soil, erosion, plant classification, greenhouses and careers in horticulture.
Levels of learning
Fairs and exhibits
- Make a video or poster about how legumes can fix nitrogen in the soil
- Make a poster showing the parts of a plant and what they do
- Identify and label parts of a plant, seed, or stages in the growth cycle
- Explain how cross pollination works
- Show different ways plants can grow without soil
- Describe how plants are used, other than for food
- Examine soil, how it’s created, and what kind of soil is in your area
- Explore erosion and how wind and water can cause it to happen
- Learn about soil testing and how to do it
- Study the plant classification system and how to identify plants