Free tax preparation
English | español
Free tax preparation sites are open throughout the state of Minnesota during tax season. Most sites are open from early February to mid-April, when taxes are due. Some sites offer limited help year round. Free tax preparation is available for:
- Individuals earning $35,000 or less a year.
- Families earning $55,000 or less per year.
- Individuals or families who speak limited or no English.
- Individuals who are age 60 or older.
- Individuals who have a disability.
These free tax preparation services are trustworthy and confidential. They also offer e-filing and fast refunds. All volunteers are certified by the Internal Revenue Service to prepare returns. They will prepare returns for federal and state income and for property taxes.
Here are some ways that you can access free tax preparation services:
- Call the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Helpline at 651-296-3781 or 1-800-652-9094.
- If you are hearing impaired, call Minnesota Relay at 711 (TTY).
- Find a site near you on the Minnesota Department of Revenue's Free tax preparation sites web page.
- File for free yourself using the United Way's MyFreeTaxes services for households earning $66,000 or less.
To learn more, watch this video: File your taxes for free in MN – claim it!.
What should I bring with me to have my taxes prepared? — Internal Revenue Service — Get a list of the records that most people need when filing their taxes. English | español | Lus Hmoob | Soomaali
Free file: Do your federal taxes for free — Internal Revenue Service — Get free access to software or fillable forms that help you complete your taxes.
Reviewed in 2018