Farmbytes: thin apples for better harvests
Why, how and when to hand thin apples.
- Thinning apple trees will improve size and quality of fruit and reduce alternate bearing.
- Hand thin apples when they are half an inch in diameter.
- Leave one to two apples every six inches.
- Simple steps to productive apple trees: Simple instructions on how to hand-thin apple trees along with recommendations on pruning, training and fertilizing trees.
- A grower's guide to organic apples: Manual from Cornell University. See the “Crop-Load Management” section. Includes discussion on chemical thinning for organic growers.
- Midwest fruit pest management Guide: From the Midwest Fruit Workers Group. Includes a section on chemical thinning for conventional growers.
Reviewed in 2016
Share this page: