Extension Logo
Extension Logo
University of Minnesota Extension

Accessing information to protect water quality

Information and assistance available

Information and assistance are available from many public agencies and organizations. These organizations work in partnership with shore land property owners, lake associations, public officials and private enterprises to protect water quality. Read through common questions you may have and which agency to contact. Resources at the local, state and federal level are listed along with how they can help you protect and best manage your shore land property.

These organizations offer help in different ways: 

  • Information and education on water quality issues.
  • Technical and planning consultation for your property.
  • Issuing permits, requirements, guidelines for developing your property.
  • Enforcement of regulations affecting the water quality of lakes and rivers.
  • Cost-share assistance and project funding for individual projects.
  • Testing and monitoring of water.

What to expect when contacting an agency

  • Times: The agency may have office hours between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
  • Fees: Some may require fee-for-service; others may be available at no direct cost to the user.
  • Call ahead for an appointment: The person you want to speak with may be out of the office, as that is the nature of his or her work - to be out meeting with people or conducting site visits or inspections. It is best to call ahead for an appointment if you want to meet with the person. If you don't reach him or her by phone, leave your name, phone number and a specific message.
  • On some issues you may be given several alternatives to help you make a decision. You may also need to be referred to a more appropriate agency.

Reviewed in 2018

Share this page:

© 2019 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.