What you'll do
Develop and present stories through acting, mime, movement, puppetry and technical theater. Learn acting techniques and improvisation, costume and set design, makeup techniques and technical stage lighting and sound. And if you're musically inclined, write a musical, sing or play an instrument.
Levels of learning
Get started with 4-H'ers in your area
- Find a club near you or contact your local 4-H office for more info.
Get started on your own
- National 4-H performing arts activity books (for sale)
- Iowa 4-H Music Project Hot Sheet (free download)
Fairs and exhibits
- Sing a solo or duet
- Choreograph a dance
- Play a musical instrument
- Perform with a puppet
- Act out a scene from a play
- Put together an educational display on some aspect of music, drama, dance or performing
- Provide a journal of current performing arts experiences
- Write a collection of poems
- Create a script for a play
- Make an audio file of sound effects to use with a play
- What a judge is looking for (project evaluation sheet)
Guide to county fair judging
- Some counties require record keeping for fairs.
Reviewed in 2021