What you'll do
Learn all about the home environment, from decorating a room and arranging furniture to landscaping.
Levels of learning
Get started with 4-H'ers in your area
Get started on your own
Home Improvement Hot Sheet from Iowa 4-H (free download)
Kentucky 4-H home environment activities
Fairs and exhibits
- Refinish or refurbish a piece of furniture
- Show some photos or video of how you have accessorized a room. Before and after.
- Make new furnishings for a room
- Repair a home furnishing and put it back into use
- Make a video or reference book of cleaning and household tips
- Develop a resource file of ideas related to home furnishing, etc.
- Report: How could your home be more energy efficient? Use measurements of energy, dollars, inches of insulation, degrees of heat gained or lost, etc.
- How could the landscaping around your home be changed to benefit the inside of it?
Future study and careers
Cabinet makers and furniture makers learn most of their skills on the job. You could study housing or interior design at the University of Minnesota.
Reviewed in 2018