Torkelson Cattle Company
Marlin and Kathy Torkelson’s farm has been in the family for 75 years. Marlin’s parents, Hjalmer and Leona, purchased the homestead of 120 acres in 1946. The following year they built a dairy barn and started milking cows. Marlin began milking in 1970 and at his peak was milking 60 cows after additions were made to the original barn. For several years in the 1970s, Marlin also raised Herefords.
In 1979, Marlin and Kathy purchased the farm. Marlin milked until 1992 when his knees began to bother him from all the years of milking. It was then the Toreklsons traded their dairy cows for beef heifers. The beef operation began with 50 black Angus heifers. The farm has grown to 1,400 acres with 11 land transactions and 1,200 rented acres. Marlin and Kathy’s son, Eric, started buying cows at age 13 and he now has a herd of his own. In 2014, Torkelson Cattle Company LLC was born.
Marlin and Eric take care of 350 cows and background the calves. They grow corn, oats and hay. Kathy helps when time allows driving tractors, working with the cattle, bringing food to the fields, running for parts and other tasks. Kathy also works full time at Pine River Dental Arts.
Marlin continues to serve on the Wilson Township Board as a supervisor, a position he’s held for over 35 years. He served on the Crow Wing/Cass County FSA committee and is a past board member of the Land O’ Lakes board. Kathy is a member of the Pine River Garden Club and serves as secretary/meeting coordinator. The Torkelsons are members of the Baptist Church in Pequot Lakes.