You will need to identify all 4-H market beef projects including market steers, market heifers, and dairy steers. All market beef MUST be owned, tagged with a MN 4-H ear tag, and identified by February 15, 2023. Breeding heifers, cow/calf pairs, and prospect calves (steers and heifers) must be owned or leased, tagged or tattooed, and identified by May 15, 2023. Please note that Cloverbuds do not need to identify beef animals at this time.
- Read through the 4-H Beef Information Sheet and the Minnesota 4-H AnSci Updates for 2023 - these documents include information for identification, beef project rules, classes, State Fair participation, and much more.
- Get your 4-H tags and tagger from the Sherburne County Extension Office for your market beef projects. All market beef projects will need a 4-H tag (including registered animals with breed tattoos). There are taggers available for you to check out and use. Please inquire about the return procedure.
- Tag your animal and complete the Market Beef ID Worksheet (market beef steers and market heifers) or the Dairy Steer ID Worksheet to assist you in entering your market beef information into 4-H Online.
- Enter your market beef identification information into 4-H Online by February 15, 2023. Use the animal ID’ing tip sheet for ease in entering your animal information. If you are unable to enter your information into 4-H Online, please bring your completed Market Beef or Dairy Steer ID worksheet to the Extension Office for assistance in entering your ID information into 4-H Online by the end of business day on February 15, 2023.
- An AFTER HOURS helpline is available for use if you are experiencing challenges with your identification process. Please use these helplines during the available hours only. All other calls for assistance should be directed to Kellie Bossen at the Sherburne County Extension Office during normal business hours. Helpline Dates and Hours:
Tuesday, February 14 4:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. 507-369-6896
Wednesday, February 15 4:30 p.m. - 11:59 p.m. 320-297-0497
Remember, by February 15, 2023, you must own your market beef animal, have it tagged with a MN 4-H ear tag, and enter the animal information into 4-H Online. Please contact Danielle Ganje at 763-765-3075 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Extension Educator, 4-H Youth Development