Extension Regional Office, Mankato
1961 Premier Dr Suite 110
Mankato, MN 56001-5901
Communities where I work
Counties: Blue Earth, Brown, McLeod, Meeker, Nicollet, Renville, Sherburne, Sibley, Stearns and Wright
- B.S., English and Speech, Minnesota State University, Mankato
- M.S., Continuing Studies, emphasis in Curriculum and Instruction
Catherine (Catie) Rasmussen has been an Extension Educator in Leadership and Civic Engagement since 1997. Along with her prior career as a secondary teacher, she brings over thirty years of experience in educational programming. She is the primary designer and educator of "bridging" leadership program s for counties. Her work focuses on building leadership capacity and enhancing collaboration among communities to address public issues. She has co-authored the facilitation guidebook, Committees That Work: Common Traps - Creative Solutions.
Catie is a frequent educator of leadership development workshops for organizations and provides training and consultation on emotional intelligence for Extension state and national leadership cohort programs. She recently designed and taught a leadership program in Morocco which focused on building skills necessary to create cooperatives.
Affiliations, Honors and Community Service
- Awards: Early Career Award from the Minnesota Association of Extension Educators (2002); National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals Excellence in Teamwork Award (2009) and Excellence in Community Development Programming Individual Award (2007); Extension Dean and Director's Distinguished Diversity and Inclusion Team Award (2013 and 2009); Association of Minnesota Counties Achievement Award (2009 and 2006); Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs Local Government Innovation Award (2007); County Bridge Builder Award (2014); Association of Minnesota Counties Achievement Award (2006, 2009, and 2015)
- Certified Trainer: Bar-On Emotional Quotient Inventory (BarOn EQ-i®), Team Emotional and Social Intelligence (TESI); Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI); Intercultural Conflict Style Inventory (ICS), Technology of Participation Training in Group Methods; Study Circles (Everyday Democracy); The Art of Hosting Facilitation
- Member: International Leadership Association; Association of Leadership Education, National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals
- Liepold, M. J., Rasmussen, C. M., Boyce, K., & Trudeau Poskas, D. (2013). Outside the comfort zone: Strategies for developing emotionally intelligent leaders. Journal of Leadership Education, 12(2), 74-87.
- Rasmussen, C. M., Armstrong, J., & Chazdon, S. A. (2011). Bridging Brown County: Captivating social capital as a means to community change. Journal of Leadership Education, 10(1), 63-82.