Renter 101 Online Course
See this page in: English
This is a free online course that helps you better navigate the rental process. Finding and keeping a home is an important step in maintaining a stable home environment. You'll get an overview of the tools and strategies you need to secure housing.
Through this course you will ensure you become a responsible renter by learning:
- How to manage money resources wisely to pay rent on time every month.
- How to choose adequate, safe and affordable housing.
- How to communicate effectively.
- How to maintain a home.
- How to navigate the rental process. This includes learning about screening, lease agreements, security deposits and moving out.
Cost and registration
This course is free and does not need registration. It takes about an hour to complete and you can access and return to the course as often as needed.
Upon completion, you will receive a certificate.
Take and teach lesson
Use the following lesson plan with job clubs and other in-person gatherings. The lesson plan will:
- Reinforce the ideas of the course.
- Give participants the opportunity to apply what they learned.
Access the lesson: Renter 101: Take and teach lesson
This online course and related take and teach lesson were adapted from the RentWise curriculum.
Lori Hendrickson, Extension educator in family resiliency; and research assistants Dung Mao, Weiyang Xie, and Kristina Blasen