The curriculum is now available for $50
See this page in: English
Do you want to educate others on what it takes to be a successful renter? If so, then the RentWise curriculum is for you!
About the curriculum
RentWise is a comprehensive curriculum that provides education and skills on renting. You can use the curriculum in one-on-one or group settings.
Teaching the entire curriculum takes six hours. Don't have that much time? Customize by selecting the right activities for your audiences.
RentWise is a useful teaching tool for:
- Individuals who have low income.
- Individuals who need to build credit and rental histories.
- Individuals who are new to the country.
- Individuals who are new to rental living or independent living.
This curriculum takes an active-learning approach and stresses renter responsibility. Participants who complete the complete six hour education will:
- Gather information to compare rental housing.
- Identify changing needs and wants in rental housing.
- Practice financial tasks related to housing.
- Recognize the components of a lease agreement.
- Practice positive communication skills.
- Identify methods to keep rental housing clean and safe.
- Explain proper procedures to end tenancy and avoid eviction.
The curriculum is web-based and costs $50.
What is in the curriculum?
The RentWise curriculum has three units:
- Acquire your rental housing
- Sustaining your home environment and relationships
- Aspiring: your future housing
All resources are web-based. The RentWise Facilitator Website is a “one stop shop” with all resources you need to teach the program. Resources include the:
- RentWise Facilitator’s Manual — See a RentWise Facilitator's Manual sample (PDF)
- RentWise Renter's Workbook — See a RentWise Renter's Workbook sample (PDF)
- Instructions for assembling the RentWise Folder for participants
- Handouts — See a RentWise handout sample (PDF)
- Supplemental materials
You also get access to the RentWise reporting system. Use this system to enter data and get customized certificates of completion.
Reviewed in 2018