All in-person Extension meetings, events and classes are canceled through Friday, May 15.
Learn how to manage manure safely. Includes guidance on how to safely agitate and pump manure and how to prevent and manage manure spills.
- Environmental impacts
- Preventing spills from manure storage, transportation and land application
- Managing manure spills
- As organic material in the manure breaks down, the lack of oxygen in the manure liquid promotes hydrogen sulfide, methane and other gas formation.
- Methane is a fire/explosion hazard when it reaches flammable limits of 5 to 15 percent by volume.
- Each farm should have safety protocols for manure storage systems.
- All on-farm family and staff should be aware of the dangers of manure gas exposure, and how to reduce the risks to human and animal health and safety.
- Keep this safety checklist in mind for agitation, pumping, transportation, and application.