Learn how to manage manure safely. Includes guidance on how to safely agitate and pump manure and how to prevent and manage manure spills.
- Environmental impacts
- Preventing spills from manure storage, transportation and land application
- Managing manure spills
- As organic material in the manure breaks down, the lack of oxygen in the manure liquid promotes hydrogen sulfide, methane and other gas formation.
- Methane is a fire/explosion hazard when it reaches flammable limits of 5 to 15 percent by volume.
- Each farm should have safety protocols for manure storage systems.
- All on-farm family and staff should be aware of the dangers of manure gas exposure, and how to reduce the risks to human and animal health and safety.
- Keep this safety checklist in mind for agitation, pumping, transportation, and application.