All in-person Extension meetings, events and classes are canceled through Friday, May 15.
Managing soil and nutrients
How to manage soil and nutrients in home yards and gardens
The nutrients in your soil are what feed your plants and can determine whether you have a healthy lawn, flourishing trees and bumper crop of zucchini.
Before starting any yard or garden project, we recommend having your soil tested by the University of Minnesota Soil Testing Lab. They will let you know if your soil needs added nutrients depending on what you want to plant.
- Amending soils for perennial beds
- Composting in home gardens
- Cover crops and green manure in home gardens
- How and why to build a rain garden
- Living soil, healthy garden
- Water-saving strategies for home lawns
Water wisely—Start in your own backyard with smart watering tips for healthy lawns, gardens, trees and shrubs.