What is farm to school month?
MINNESOTA. FARM. FRESH. LOCAL.
In Minnesota, we celebrate this month in October by inviting students, their families and their communities to crunch into fresh seasonal food, grown on local farms. It’s also a time to share gratitude with those who make Farm to School possible including farmers, educators, nutrition professionals, and community connectors.
Share your story
Whether you’re a school district or a family, no celebration is too small!
We want to track and amplify the stories of how Farm to School + ECE Month activities across Minnesota are celebrating Farm to School.
Please fill out this form to share your story!
Explore our activities for Farm to School + ECE Month!Sign up and be counted!
Celebrate all month
There are a variety of ways you can participate in Farm to School + ECE this year. Register to let us know how and when you’re planning to celebrate and to receive updates of opportunities. Here are a few ways you might celebrate:
- Great Lakes Great Apple Crunch. Sign up here to receive your official Apple Crunch guide. Crunch into a local apple -
- What is the crunch? Celebrate National Farm to School + ECE Month by collectively purchasing and crunching into locally and regionally grown apples at noon on Thursday, Oct. 13, or find an alternate day in October that works for you. Then share photos from your Crunch on social media!
- Who should participate? K-12 schools, early care and education sites, hospitals, colleges and universities, farms, state and local agencies, non-profit organizations, local businesses, groups and event households can register to Crunch this year!
- Where do we Crunch? Anyone across Minnesota can register to Crunch in 2022! Crunch at school, your office, the apple orchard, the school garden or from home!
- This collective crunch encourages healthy eating and supports Farm to School + ECE and other local food purchasing initiatives throughout the region. It’s also a fun way to connect food and nutrition to all kinds of classroom curriculum – from science to art! Whether you’re at home or at school, crunch with us this year!
- Remember to share your Crunch video or photos on social media - #MNfarmtoschool and #F2SMonth
- You can access fun apple lessons from MN Ag in the Classroom once you sign up!
- Use class time for Farm to School + ECE activity.
- Host an in-person or virtual garden harvest party or other activity in the school garden.
- Have your city or county government declare October as Farm to School + ECE Heroes Month by submitting a proclamation.
- Share your story on social media. Take a photo or video of your celebration and posting it to social media using #MNfarmtoschool and #F2SMonth.
Reviewed in 2021