Rochester Mentoring Apiary 2020
Saturday, May 16, 2020 - Saturday, October 17, 2020
Please join us for a series of 6 classes covering everything from fundamental beekeeping techniques to disease detection and in-depth management strategies. Each class will begin with a discussion about seasonal management topics, followed by hands-on training in the apiary.
By the end of the season you will have learned how to:
- Enter a colony safely, minimizing disruption to the bees and stings to the beekeepers.
- Check for the queen and evaluate her health and quality.
- Check for food resources and space requirements in the hive.
- Anticipate and prevent supersedures and swarms.
- Check for bacterial, viral and fungal diseases.
- Measure Varroa mite levels and make a mite management plan.
- Prepare your colonies to successfully survive the winter.
Classes will be held Saturdays from 9:30-11:00am: May 16, June 13, July 11, August 22, September 19, October 17
- Have taken Beekeeping in Northern Climates Year 1 or another basic beekeeping class, or currently keeping bees.
- Wear your own protective equipment (veil or bee jacket).
- Participants must be 18 years or older to enter the apiary.
- Willing to learn gloveless beekeeping.
701 Silver Creek Road NE
Rochester, MN 55906
Class will be held rain or shine. Cancellations prior to two weeks before the first day of class will be fully refunded.
Pre-registration required. Register using the link below.