Lunchtime dairy discussions
University of Minnesota Extension will be hosting a three part discussion series on hot topics for dairy farmers. Come prepared to share ideas, ask questions, and engage in a discussion with other farmers and U of M Extension Educators. Farmers, 4-H'ers, ag business professionals who work with farmers, and those interested in dairy cows are all invited to attend.
Aug.3: Feeding in hot weather and dealing with forage shortages
- Discuss strategies for feeding in hot weather.
- Share ideas for balancing TMRs, adjusting feedstuffs, and alternatives for feeding schedules.
- Discuss how to address forage shortages that we will likely encounter later this year, from alternatives to buying hay.
Speakers: Jim Salfer, Issac Salfer, Stacey Caughey, and Andy Mueller
Aug. 4: Beat the heat: Strategies to help keep cows cool
- Discuss strategies on how to keep cows cool and comfortable.
- Minnesota dairy farmers and U of M Extension educators will share insights on ventilation, fans, and sprinkler use on dairy farms.
Speakers: Karen Johnson, Kevin Janni, and Jim Salfer
Aug. 5: Managing flies on the dairy
- Discuss fly biology and life cycles.
- Discuss strategies for managing flies on the dairy.
- Speakers: Claire LaCanne, Brad Heins, and Jim Salfer
Registration is required by 5 p.m. on Friday, July 31. The Zoom link will be sent out after registration closes. Recordings will be sent out via email if you are unable to attend the live sessions.