Horse riding lessons for 2023 start on Monday, June 5.
To participate with your horse, you must:
- Submit your negative Coggins test online per instructions sent by the 4-H office.
- Wear boots and jeans.
- Wear helmets. This is required by the state policy as of 2007: Every person that rides must wear an ASTM/SEI-approved helmet, or you will not be allowed to ride.
Note: A parent or designated adult should be present in case of an emergency.
Schedule of lessons
Classes are split between beginners and advanced, except for Games, which begin at 6:30 p.m. for everyone.
Times of lessons:
- 6:30-7:45 p.m. - Beginners (first and second-year members only)
- 7:45-9 p.m. - Advanced (three years or more members)
Dates of lessons:
- Monday, June 5- Western Pleasure
- Monday, June 12-Showmanship
- Wednesday, June 14-Games
- Monday, June 19 -English Pleasure*
- Wednesday, June 21-Games
- Monday, June 26 -Ranch Pleasure (new class added to 4-H in 2022)
- Monday, July 3 - Trail
- Wednesday, July 5- Aim night-Egg & Spoon, Trail
- Monday, July 10 - English Equitation
- Monday, July 17 -Western Horsemanship-Patterns
- Wednesday, July 19 -Training project test out
- Monday, July 24 - Focusing on a Successful Fair - All members should attend - Parent meeting at 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 26 - Games
*If a member has been in 4-H for three or more years but is riding English for the first time, they must ride in the beginners' group.
4-H horse members
UPDATED: Annual lesson fee $60 per member or $120 maximum per family
This fee must be paid by May 30. There will be a late fee of $60 if not paid by May 30.
Payments should be mailed to:
Kandiyohi County Extension Office
Attn: Nate Erickson
2200 23rd St NE, Suite 2025
Willmar, MN 56201
Payments will not be accepted during lessons.
Call the Extension office at 320-231-7890 if you would like to pay by debit/credit card.
Scholarships may be available - contact Nate Erickson for more information.