This two-day business retention and expansion (BRE) immersion includes presentations, video, individual and small group work, and lots of peer discussion. Highlights include:
- Practicing interviewing techniques at real businesses.
- Learning from guest experts who'll provide BRE tips and stories.
- Getting to know other economic developers while expanding your network.
This year for the first time, there will be a special focus on business succession and transition research, methods and case studies. We've added this as there are 50,000+ business owners in Minnesota that will be exiting their businesses in the next several years.
You will also have the opportunity to think about the best BRE approach for your situation.
The course is designed for economic and community development professionals and stakeholders, community leaders and others who want to conduct a community-led BRE effort.
Costs and discounts
- Individual (per person): $575
- Community members/teams*:
- 2 person team: $950
- 3–5 person team: $1,300
- Full-time student: $110 — email your transcript to Michael Darger prior to registering
Lunch provided on both days.
*Community-led BRE is all about teamwork, so we encourage teams to attend training together. We offer team discounts for groups from a town or city, county, school district, or other groups of contiguous communities.
Register before June 14, 2023, 4 p.m.
Everyone who completes the course:
- Receives a certificate of accomplishment from University of Minnesota Extension.
- Meets a course requirement to receive a Business Retention and Expansion International (BREI) certification and one-year membership for $75. BREI is an international association that promotes and educates about BRE.