Youth in grades 6+ are invited to join us for an introduction to crop scouting on June 30th at Crystal Valley Co-op from 9 am to 12 pm (7800 Old US Highway 14, Janesville, MN 56048)
Crop scouting is an essential part of Integrated Pest Management (IPM). Scouting provides field-specific information on pest pressure and crop injury, and is essential in making the appropriate pest management decisions. Youth will be able to learn about crop scouting, the state 4-H Crop Scouting event and careers related to crop scouting. Youth will also learn how to scout for problems and learn about possible solutions and strategies.
- To provide youth an opportunity to learn crop scouting and principles of integrated pest management (IPM) for corn and soybean in Minnesota
- To gain knowledge about the scouting, identification, and management strategies for diseases, insects, and weeds common to Minnesota crops
- To develop the ability to gather information and solve problems
- To demonstrate knowledge of crop scouting and IPM principles in a competitive event
- To obtain knowledge and skills that will be helpful in future careers related to agri-science and environmental science.
- Youth in grades 6+ in the Southeast, Southwest, and Central counties of Minnesota 4-H
For assistance with registration, please refer to the event registration guide or contact your local extension office.
- If you are new to 4-H, please select "Virtual 4-H - Countyname County" or “In Person Camp/Event-Countyname County” in the Clubs field. In the Projects field, choose "pick the project your primary focus is on" and any other project areas you have an interest in.