See this page in: English
Extension Regional Office, Cloquet
Cloquet Forestry Center
179 University Road
Cloquet, MN 55720
Communities where I work
- A.A., Accounting, College of DuPage, Glen Ellyn, IL
- B.S., Business, Elmhurst College, Elmhurst, IL
- Master of Administration, Education, Roosevelt University, Schaumburg, IL
Dawn joined Extension as the regional director serving Northwest Minnesota in 2004. As a liaison for American Indian and Tribal Partnerships and Co-Chair of the American Indian Task Force, Dawn has helped to bring Extension's youth, water quality, volunteer and family programs to Minnesota's American Indian Tribes. A trained facilitator, Dawn has convened community groups to identify needs for underserved audiences through listening sessions, focus groups, appreciative inquiry, focused conversations and dialogues. Dawn joined the Center for Community Vitality in 2013, with the goal of bringing community and economic development programming to more tribal communities.
Before joining Extension, Dawn was the Director of Institutional Advancement for the Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College, Cloquet, MN, where she administered grants, designed evaluation procedures, developed training activities and directed the college's foundation. She has worked for Fond du Lac Min-No-Aya-Win Human Services in Cloquet as the Administrative Services Coordinator; there she was responsible for management and oversight of billing, bookkeeping, and administrative staff. Dawn also served as the Business Department Chair with Leech Lake Tribal College, Cass Lake, MN, where her responsibilities included teaching business, entrepreneurship, and accounting related coursework. She also led the launch of a student-managed bookstore.
Affiliations, Honors and Community Service
- Community Service: Master Gardener - Fond du Lac Cohort, Technology of Participation Board
- Training and Certifications: Advanced Coursework Evaluation, University of Minnesota; Babson Entrepreneurship Intensive; Blandin Community Leadership Program; Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI) Qualifying Administrator; National Extension Leadership Development; NxLevel Business Trainer; Skilled Facilitator – Roger Schwarz; Technology of Participation (ToP) Facilitation Methods – Institute of Cultural Affairs
- Member: Community Development Society, Ho-Chunk Nation, National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals, Rural Sociological Society, Technology of Participation Network
- Martenson, D. M., Newman, D. A., & Zak, D. M. (2011). Building community-university partnerships by listening, learning, and responding. Journal of Extension. 49(5). Retrieved from www.joe.org/joe/2011october/a4.php
- Newman, D. A. (Ed.). (2011). Stewardship guide for Leech Lake lands. Cass Lake and St. Paul, MN: Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe and University of Minnesota Extension.