West Central Minnesota
Extension Regional Office, Moorhead
715 11th Street North, Suite 107C
Moorhead, MN 56560-2083
Communities where I work
Counties: Becker, Big Stone, Clay, Douglas, Grant, Otter Tail, Pope, Stevens, Swift, Traverse, Wilkin
- B.A., Honors Classics and History, Summa Cum Laude, Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, MN
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) Certification, Hamline University, St. Paul, MN
- Master's in Urban and Regional Planning, University of Minnesota Humphrey Institute, Minneapolis, MN
Ryan has worked in community economic development for Extension in West Central Minnesota since 2004. In that capacity, he has developed and delivered Extension programming in eCommerce, business retention and expansion, tourism development, and retail market analysis. Ryan also pursues work in community food systems, focusing on successful development strategies for direct farm marketing and research on the local foods market. Before joining Extension, Ryan taught English in Trabzon, Turkey, and worked in sustainable agriculture as a farm apprentice and greengrocer. More recently, Ryan has been an instructor in farm business management in the Sustainable Food Production Program at M-State in Fergus Falls, assisting beginning farmers on business planning for their prospective operations. Ryan operates a diversified vegetable farm with his family in Otter Tail County.
Affiliations, honors and community service
- Awards: National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals (NACDEP), Runner-up Educational Technology-Team, National and North Central Regional (2013); NACDEP, Excellence in Teamwork, National and North Central Region (2013); Economic Development Association of Minnesota, Best Development Initiative in Technology (2008); Minnesota Community and Natural Resources Association, Early Career Award (2008); NACDEP, Educational Piece, (2009); Extension Dean and Director's Diversity Award for Horizons (2009)
- Member: Community Development Society; National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals; Minnesota Association of Community and Leadership Education Professionals; Phi Beta Kappa, national academic fraternity
- Board of Directors: Southwest Regional Sustainable Development Partnership (Extension); Pride of the Prairie Chapter of Buy Fresh Buy Local (national organization)
- Pesch, R. (2013). Institutional healthcare market for local produce. St. Paul, MN: University of Minnesota Extension Center for Community Vitality.
- Pesch, R. (2012). Chisago County lodging study. St. Paul, MN: University of Minnesota Extension Center for Community Vitality.