4-H Meat Goat Project
See this page in: English
What you'll do
Goats are very useful animals - they produce milk, meat and hair for weaving. Learn how to manage one or many goats. Learn what to feed them and how to keep them healthy. You'll also learn about milking, fitting, breeding them, their pedigrees. Livestock quality assurance, genetics, national industry issues and showing.
Already involved in the meat goat project?Go to the meat goat member site
Get started with 4-H'ers in your area
Get started on your own
- National 4-H meat goat activity books (for sale)
- Utah's Discover 4-H Clubs (free download)
- Iowa 4-H hot sheet (free)
- Learn about the many goat breeds (Oklahoma State University)
- American Meat Goat Association
- U.S. Boer Goat Association
- Oklahoma State University: Breeds of goats
- Test your knowledge of goat anatomy
You may choose to show your animal in the county fair. There may also be other ways you can show your knowledge, such as making a poster or doing a demonstration about:
- Health and diseases
- Production (care and feeding)
- Other goat topics, such as biosecurity
Check with your local 4-H office for local rules.
Your guide to judging at the Hennepin County Fair (or any county!)
Some counties require record keeping for fairs.
Reviewed in 2018