ProHort: Horticulture education
See this page in: English
ProHort is for industry professionals, home owners, educators and anyone looking for comprehensive horticulture foundation education from University of Minnesota Extension.
The ProHort course includes the same online and in-person classes offered for the Master Gardener Volunteer Core Course. Receive the same instruction without the obligation of volunteering or continuing education.
Industry professionals taking the course can earn three Minnesota Nursery and Landscape Association credits (please confirm with MNLA).
ProHort can be taken in-person, online or both.
Online modules can be done in any order at your own pace. Students have access to the class for 12 months and can re-visit the class as many times as they wish.
In person sessions take place at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum on Fridays and Saturdays, 8:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
The 2020 in-person class meets for four weeks, January 10–February 1, 2020.
The in-person course covers the same topics as those available in the online training.
- There are no class prerequisites.
- Each class module focuses on one aspect of a horticulture-related topic:
- Botany and horticulture
- Soils, composting and fertilizers
- Herbaceous plants
- Woody plants
- Lawn care
- Weed management
- Growing vegetables
- Growing fruit
- Indoor plants
- Integrated pest management (IPM)
- Plant pathology
- Plant diagnostics
- Living with wildlife
Each online module includes:
- Recorded lectures with images and script.
- Web resources.
- Assignments for practical application of concepts.
- A post-quiz to see what you learned.
- Forum for questions and discussion.
After the class
- You will receive a certificate of completion once you have completed the final quiz.
- There is no professional designation or title given for completing the ProHort class.
- You may choose to include the class on your resume as professional development.
- ProHort students do not receive University credits.
The education manager and Extension educator at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum is the main class coordinator and the class contact: email@example.com, 612-625-9864.
$590.00 (includes class packet mailed to students)