ProHort: Horticulture education
ProHort is for industry professionals, home owners, educators and anyone looking for comprehensive horticulture foundation education from University of Minnesota Extension.
The ProHort course includes the same online and in-person classes offered for the Master Gardener Volunteer Core Course. Receive the same instruction without the obligation of volunteering or continuing education.
Industry professionals taking the course can earn three Minnesota Nursery and Landscape Association credits (please confirm with MNLA).
ProHort can be taken in-person, online or both.
Online modules can be done in any order at your own pace. Students have access to the class for 12 months and can re-visit the class as many times as they wish.
2019 in-person classes
In person sessions take place at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum on Fridays and Saturdays, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., beginning January 11 and ending February 2, 2019.
- The in-person course covers the same topics as those available in the online training.
- There are no class prerequisites.
- The class is arranged in modules, each focused on one aspect of a horticulture-related topic, including:
- botany, soils, herbaceous plants, lawn care, trees and shrubs, plant pathology, entomology, diagnostics, Integrated Pest Management, indoor plants, vegetables, fruits, living with wildlife, and weeds
Each online module includes:
- Recorded lectures with images and script
- Web resources
- Assignments for practical application of concepts
- A post-quiz to see what you learned
- Forum for questions and discussion
After the class
- You will receive a certificate of completion once you have completed the final quiz.
- There is no professional designation or title given for completing the ProHort class.
- You may choose to include the class on your resume as professional development.
- ProHort students do not receive University credits.
The education manager and Extension educator at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum is the main class coordinator and the class contact: email@example.com, 612-625-9864.
Price: $590.00 (includes class packet mailed to students). Pay by credit card only.
Register for the ProHort course October 1 through December 1, 2018. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, 612-625-9864 for a link to registration.