The class manager facilitates each course by communicating with team to ensure that each class runs smoothly so that participants receive the highest quality learning experience.
- Arrive 60 minutes before class begins.
- Prepare materials and space for class including food, take-home groceries, cooking equipment and arrangement of space.
- Facilitate course management including introductions, welcome and background regarding Cooking Matters and time management.
- Administer documents including participant evaluations, liability waivers and attendance.
- Manage volunteers including Culinary Instructor, Nutrition Educator and Class Assistants.
- Assist chef and nutrition educator with activities, visual aids and cooking, including assistance supervising participants in the kitchen to ensure safety.
- Clean up and break down the classroom before leaving.
- Communicate necessary information to Cooking Matters staff as needed and act as liaison between host agency and Cooking Matters staff.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to facilitate small to medium sized group discussion (average class is 12-15 participants).
- Interest and comfort in working with low-income individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work well with a team.
- Ability to travel to class location.
- Willingness to be trained on Cooking Matters® curricula, to work as a team with University of Minnesota Extension staff and volunteers, and to adhere to program policies and team decisions.
- At least one hour for training and orientation with Cooking Matters®.
- Approximately three hours per week for lesson preparation, travel time, class time, set-up and clean-up.
- Must commit to all six weeks of the course.