Extension Regional Office, Mankato
1961 Premier Dr., Suite 110
Mankato, MN 56001
- B.A., German, St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, MN
- Master of Intercultural and International Management, SIT Graduate Institute, Brattleboro, VT
- Ph.D., Educational Policy and Administration, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
Nancy joined Extension in 2019. She has 20+ years of experience as an intercultural educator and trainer. Some of her previous roles include directing the Center for Education Abroad and Away at Minnesota State University-Mankato, teaching cultural literacy courses and directing intercultural experiences at the University of Alabama, teaching intercultural communication courses at Metropolitan State University, and directing the Summer Institute for Intercultural Communication in Portland, Oregon.
Beyond her domestic work experience, Nancy has worked internationally in Australia, Egypt, England, Germany, Japan, New Zealand, Serbia and Tanzania. She will leverage these collective experiences in her work as a leadership and civic engagement educator for Extension. Among other interests (and as a life-long interculturalist and learner), she is committed to the journey of building cross-cultural competence. Nancy looks forward to partnering with both community leaders and community members to address their needs.
Affiliations, certifications and workshops
- Member: International Leadership Association, National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals
- Certifications: IDI (Intercultural Development Inventory); Personal Leadership; Cultural Detective®
- Selected Workshops and Trainings: Leadership Academy for International Education; Internships & Service Learning: Best Practices; Facilitating Intercultural Competence: Experiential Methods and Tools; The Art of Supervision; Unconventional Leadership; Training of Trainers: Cross-cultural Competency; Training of Trainers: Diversity Training
- Chazdon, S., Hawker, J., Hayes, B., Linscheid, N., O’Brien, N., & Spanier, T. (2020). Assessing Community Readiness to Engage in Diversity and Inclusion Efforts. Journal of Extension, 58 (6).
- Ropers, R., & O’Brien, N. (2015). Feminist research paradigms. In J. Bennett (Ed), The SAGE encyclopedia of intercultural competence. Thousand Oaks, CA.
- O’Brien, N. (2013). Intercultural relations: re-visioning an interdisciplinary field through the global lens of women.
- Saxena, V., Wuebbeler, R., O’Brien, N., Stieghorst, R., Gore, S., Pusch, R., & Parilla, R. (2011). Cultural detective® lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, and transgender.