East Central Minnesota
Extension Regional Office, Andover
Bunker Hills Activities Center
550 Bunker Lake Boulevard NW, Suite L-1
Andover, MN 55304
Communities where I work
Counties: Chisago, Goodhue, Isanti, Kanabec, Le Sueur, Mille Lacs, Pine and Rice
- B.S., Family Social Science, University of Minnesota
- M.Ed., Adult Education, University of Minnesota
- Extensive additional coursework in Economics
Liz partners with local government officials and economic development groups to assess and enhance the sources of jobs and income in communities. Examples of past projects include facilitating a community study of a potential merger of Forest Lake city and township, fostering broadband access in Aitkin County, and helping businesses access resources for employee retention as part of the Washington County welfare-to-work initiative. She has conducted Business Retention and Expansion programs with fast-growing manufacturing firms near University Avenue in St. Paul, technology firms in Dakota County, manufacturing firms in the St. Croix Valley, and in the communities of Mora, Pine City, Forest Lake and Princeton. She has presented at national and international conferences, and has been a consultant for an international development organization.
Prior to her Extension career, Liz worked in corporate public relations for a large Minnesota food processing company and ran her own photography business. In 1990-91, Liz was a Bush Fellow in the Department of Applied Economics at the University of Minnesota where she studied community economics and did applied research. In 2000, Liz served as the Extension Fellow with the Association of Minnesota Counties.
Affiliations, honors and community service
- Awards: University of Minnesota Extension Dean and Director's Award for Distinguished Extension Field Faculty (2004); Distinguished Double Bottom Line for Retail Analysis and Development (2005); Distinguished Team for Retail Analysis and Development (2006); Distinguished Service Award, Minnesota Community and Natural Resources Association; Distinguished Service Award, National Association of Extension 4-H Agents; Kellogg Foundation Fellow in International Development through Partners of the Americas (1987-1989)
- Member: Business Retention and Expansion International; Community Development Society; Economic Development Association of Minnesota; Epsilon Sigma Phi; Minnesota Association of Extension Educators (Past President); Minnesota-Uruguay Partners of the Americas (Past President); National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals
- Certifications: Business Retention and Expansion Consultant (Business Retention & Expansion International); Economic Development Finance Professional (National Development Council); Myers-Briggs Type Indicator