East Central Minnesota
Extension Regional Office, Farmington
Dakota County Extension & Conservation Center
4100 220th St W, Suite 100
Farmington, MN 55024
Communities where I work
Counties: Carver, Chisago, Dakota, Isanti, McLeod, Scott and Washington
- B.A., Psychology and Sociology, St. Lawrence University, Canton, NY
- Master's in Public Administration, Community Development, University of Minnesota Humphrey Institute, Minneapolis, MN
Lisa Hinz has been an Extension Educator since 1996, focusing on helping public-serving groups and communities work more effectively together to better address public issues. Her expertise includes personal leadership styles, team building, using strengths and assets to strengthen community, and effective group and community involvement processes. Among Lisa's projects are leadership of the Minnesota Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts Leadership Program, the Red River Valley Emerging Leadership program, and support to the National Extension Leadership Development program. In recent years, she has developed several online programs for engaging participants in leadership and civic engagement topics at a distance. Prior to Extension, Lisa worked on organizational research and development and in nonprofit administration. Her research work contributed to the book Sustaining Innovation: Creating Nonprofit and Government Organizations that Innovate Naturally by Paul Light, published in 1998.
Affiliations, honors and community service
- Member: International Association for Public Participation, International Leadership Association, Community Development Society, National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals (NACDEP), Minnesota Association of Community and Leadership Education Professionals
- Trainer/Consultant: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, StrengthsFinder, Intercultural Conflict Style Inventory, Pew Foundation's LeadershipPLENTY curriculum, Everyday Democracy Study Circles, Art of Hosting, and other educational instruments
- Awards: National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals - Excellence in Teamwork; National Association of Conservation Districts' National Friend of Conservation; Minnesota Literacy Council Outstanding Community Partnership Award; Extension Dean and Director Distinguished Diversity and Inclusion Team; Minnesota Community and Natural Resources Association Excellence in Community Programming, Minnesota Association of Community and Leadership Extension Professionals Excellence in Educational Materials
- Rasmussen, C., & Hinz, L. (2019). Committees that work: Common traps - creative solutions. (2nd ed.) St. Paul, MN: University of Minnesota Extension.
- Kalambokidis, L., Hinz, L., & Chazdon, S. (2015). Using economic principles to show how Extension education programs create public value. In John M. Bryson, Barbara C. Crosby, and Laura Bloomberg (Eds.) Creating Public Value in Practice (pp 311-330) Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.