Extension Regional Office, Roseau
1307 3rd St NE, Suite 102
Roseau, MN 56751-2105
Communities where I work
Counties: Beltrami, Clearwater, Kittson, Lake of the Woods, Mahnomen, Marshall, Norman, Pennington, Polk, Red Lake and Roseau
- B.S., Home Economics Education, University of Wisconsin-Stout
- Master's in Education, Human Resource Development, University of Minnesota
Jody is an Extension Educator in Leadership and Civic Engagement, a position she has held since 2004. Her passion is working with communities to enhance skills in public participation and decision-making, and in teaching leadership and training leaders through cohort programs. Her research has focused on social capital and she has applied that research to develop community assessment processes and educational materials for understanding, assessing and building social capital. Since 1994, she has coordinated the Red River Valley Emerging Leadership Program for local leaders in a 21-county area of Northwest Minnesota. She has worked with the National Extension Leadership Development (NELD) Program since 2010. Jody also worked with the Horizons Program, an initiative of the Northwest Area Foundation to build the capacity of community leaders to address issues of poverty from 2003-2006. She also served as a Project Team Facilitator for watershed districts in the Red River Basin from 1999-2003.
Affiliations, Honors and Community Service
- Board of Directors: Northwest Minnesota Foundation, Northwest Minnesota Women's Fund Advisory Committee (Past Chair and Treasurer), Lake of the Woods Historical Society
- Awards: Extension Dean and Director's 2014 Award for Distinguished Field Faculty; National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals (NACDEP), Educational Package 2014 National Award (Meaningful Involvement Program); NACDEP Educational Technology 2014 National Team Award runner-up (2013 Leadership Alumni Series); NACDEP Educational Materials 2014 National Team Award runner-up (NELD Participant Materials: Costa Rica Session); NACDEP Educational Package 2013 National Team Award (Utilizing Processes Program); NACDEP Educational Technology 2013 National Team Award (Growing Community Involvement Webinar Series); Extension Dean and Director's 2013 Distinguished Award for Diversity and Inclusion Team (Leadership and Civic Engagement Team); Extension Dean and Director's 2009 Distinguished Diversity and Inclusion Team (Horizons Program)
- Affiliations: Community Development Society (CDS), International Leadership Association (ILA), Association for Talent Development (ATD), National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals (NACDEP), Epsilon Sigma Pi (ESP), Minnesota Association of Community and Leadership Education Professionals (MACLEP)
- Certification: LeadershipPlenty (Pew Foundation for Civic Engagement), Study Circles (Everyday Democracy)
- Certified Trainer: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
- Service: Wabanica Lutheran Church, Baudette, MN, organist and education committee
- Trudeau-Poskas, Denise, Messer, Cynthia, Horntvedt, Jody, and Vitcenda, Mary (2013). Exploring the impact of charismatic leaders in communities: A Learners' Guide for the 'Story of San Luis' Instructional Case Study and A Facilitator's Guide for the 'Story of San Luis' Instructional Case Study, University of Minnesota Extension. September, 2013.
- Chazdon, Scott, Allen, Ryan, Horntvedt, Jody and Scheffert, Donna Rae (2013). Developing and Validating University of Minnesota Extension's Social Capital Model and Survey and Methodological Appendix: Steps Before Confirmatory Factor Analysis, University of Minnesota Extension. October, 2013.