Extension Regional Office, Roseau
1307 3rd St NE, Suite 102
Roseau, MN 56751-2105
- B.S., Home Economics Education, University of Wisconsin-Stout
- Master's in Education, Human Resource Development, University of Minnesota
Jody is an Extension Educator in Leadership and Civic Engagement, a position she has held since 2004. Her passion is working with communities to enhance skills in public participation and decision-making, and in teaching leadership and training leaders through cohort programs. Her research has focused on social capital and she has applied that research to develop community assessment processes and educational materials for understanding, assessing and building social capital. Since 1994, she has coordinated the Red River Valley Emerging Leadership Program for local leaders in a 21-county area of Northwest Minnesota. She has worked with the National Extension Leadership Development (NELD) Program (2010–2019) and the Horizons Program (2003–2006), an initiative of the Northwest Area Foundation to build the capacity of community leaders to address issues of poverty. She also served as a Project Team Facilitator for watershed districts in the Red River Basin from 1999-2003, and continues to provide training to watershed staff and partners. She is currently working with Blandin Foundation on a new project, Growing Communities.
Affiliations, honors and community service
- Board of Directors: Lake of the Woods County Historical Society, Lutheran Social Services of Minnesota
- Awards: National Association for Community Development Extension Professionals, Teamwork Award 2017 National Award (NELD Program); Northwest Minnesota Foundation, Quality of Place Regional Award 2016 (Emerging Leadership Program); National Association for Community Development Extension Professionals, Educational Technology National Award 2015 (Questioning Skills, Flipped Programming for ULead Alumni); National Association for Community Development Extension Professionals, Diversity Team Award 2015 (Building Cultural Intelligence); Extension Dean and Director's 2014 Award for Distinguished Field Faculty; Extension Dean and Director's 2013 Distinguished Award for Diversity and Inclusion Team (Leadership and Civic Engagement Team); Extension Dean and Director's 2009 Distinguished Diversity and Inclusion Team (Horizons Program)
- Affiliations: Community Development Society (CDS), International Leadership Association (ILA), Association for Talent Development (ATD), National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals (NACDEP), Epsilon Sigma Pi (ESP)
- Certification: LeadershipPlenty (Pew Foundation for Civic Engagement), Study Circles (Everyday Democracy)
- Certified Trainer: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
- Service: Wabanica Lutheran Church, Baudette, MN, organist and education committee
- Chazdon, Scott, Horntvedt, Jody, and Templin, Elizabeth (2016). From Knowledge to Action: Tips for Encouraging and Measuring Program-Related Behavior Change. Journal of Extension, Volume 54 Number 2, April 2016
- Trudeau-Poskas, Denise, Messer, Cynthia, Horntvedt, Jody, and Vitcenda, Mary (2013). Exploring the impact of charismatic leaders in communities: A Learners' Guide for the 'Story of San Luis' Instructional Case Study and A Facilitator's Guide for the 'Story of San Luis' Instructional Case Study, University of Minnesota Extension. September, 2013.
- Chazdon, Scott, Allen, Ryan, Horntvedt, Jody and Scheffert, Donna Rae (2013). Developing and Validating University of Minnesota Extension's Social Capital Model and Survey and Methodological Appendix: Steps Before Confirmatory Factor Analysis, University of Minnesota Extension. October, 2013.