Extension Regional Center, Rochester
863 30th Avenue SE
Rochester, MN 55904-4915
Communities where I work
- B.S., Agricultural Business Administration, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
- Master's in Education, Adult Education, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
Bruce works in all areas of community economics, providing leadership to programs that help communities analyze their economic situation and develop a framework for decision-making. He is a contributor to the Community Retail Development Toolbox, a collaboration of the University of Wisconsin, Ohio State University, and the University of Minnesota. Bruce has been a presenter at the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce Mini-Institute, National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals Annual Conference, Public Issues Leadership Development Conference, and the Outreach Scholarship Conference. He served as the Interim Program Leader for Community Economics in 2011. Before coming to Extension, Bruce worked in sales and marketing with several multi-national firms.
Affiliations, honors and community service
- Chair: Business Retention and Expansion International (2014-15); Minnesota Association of Community & Leadership Education Professionals (2011-12)
- Awards: Dean's Award for Distinguished Extension Team, University of Minnesota Extension (2016 & 2005); Dean's Award for Distinguished Field-Based Faculty, University of Minnesota Extension (2015); National Current Research Award, Community Development Society (2015); National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals (NACDEP), Educational Piece Award (2014); Business Retention & Expansion International, Award of Excellence (2012); NACDEP Distinguished Service Award (2009)
- Certification: Business Retention and Expansion; Implications Wheel
- Memberships: Business Retention & Expansion International; Community Development Society; National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals
- Craig, W. J., & Schwartau, B. (2012). Smaller Minnesota cities are holding up well economically. CURA Reporter, 42(2), 20–25.
- Schwartau, B, (2014 October) Room for More; A Study of Minnesota retail and service businesses that open or expand after the opening of Walmart Supercenters. St. Paul, MN: University of Minnesota Extension, Center for Community Vitality.