Extension Regional Center, Rochester
863 30th Avenue SE
Rochester, MN 55904-4915
- B.S., Agricultural Business Administration, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
- Master's in Education, Adult Education, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
Bruce provides leadership to educator teams that help communities analyze their economic situation and develop a framework for decision-making. He is a contributor to the Community Retail Development Toolbox, a collaboration of the University of Wisconsin, Ohio State University, and the University of Minnesota. Bruce has been a presenter at the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce Mini-Institute, National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals Annual Conference, Public Issues Leadership Development Conference, and the Outreach Scholarship Conference. Before coming to Extension, Bruce worked in sales and marketing with several multi-national firms.
Affiliations, honors and community service
- Director, EDA Center at the University of Minnesota (2020-21)
- Chair, Business Retention and Expansion International (2014-15)
- Awards: Dean's Award for Distinguished Extension Team, University of Minnesota Extension (2016 and 2005); Dean's Award for Distinguished Field-Based Faculty, University of Minnesota Extension (2015); National Current Research Award, Community Development Society (2015); Business Retention & Expansion International, Award of Excellence (2012)
- Certification: Business Retention and Expansion; Implications Wheel
- Memberships: Business Retention & Expansion International; Community Development Society; National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals
- Schwartau, B., & Craig, W.J. (2019). Minnesota's changing consumer economy. CURA Reporter 48(1), 17-22.
- Craig, W. J., & Schwartau, B. (2012). Smaller Minnesota cities are holding up well economically. CURA Reporter, 42(2), 20–25.
- Schwartau, B. (2014, October). Room for more; A study of Minnesota retail and service businesses that open or expand after the opening of Walmart Supercenters. St. Paul, MN: University of Minnesota Extension, Center for Community Vitality.