Identify healthy food
You can identify "healthy foods" in all five food groups — look for options that are lower in added sugar, sodium, and saturated fat. Visit ChooseMyPlate.gov for a review of the five food groups.
What you can do today
- Estimate the nutrition contributions of foods with this document: Foods to Encourage
Tips for success
- Review your stock one food group at a time.
- Make a list of new foods (10-15 items) you'd like to stock in the next three months.
How extension can help
Connect with a SNAP-Ed educator to train food shelf volunteers on MyPlate to assist in the identification of healthy foods: SNAP-Education (SNAP-Ed).
Find out more about promoting healthy eating at food shelves:
- Source healthy food
- Work with local growers
- Ensure safety of healthy food
- Store Healthy Foods Properly
- Work with limited storage space
- Drive selection of healthy foods
- Provide practical information
- Find healthy recipes
- Enlist volunteers' help
- Include healthy foods in your backpack program
- Do cooking demonstrations
- Develop a healthy food policy
- Fund your healthy eating initiatives
Download the complete document: Promoting healthy eating at food shelves (PDF).