4-H Tractors & Small Engines Project
What you'll do
Learn about safety, fuels, maintenance, restoration and operation of tractors and small engines.
Levels of learning
Fairs and exhibits
You may choose to exhibit a tractors project or small engines project.
- Restore a car
- Present or create a display about safe, responsible driving
- Make a poster or video about how to drive cheaper and smarter
- Make a display or video comparing gasoline and diesel engines
- Give a small engine demonstration
- Build or explain a wind generator design
- Design and explain a circuit
- Make an electricity safety poster, display or video
- Restore a tractor body
- Restore a tractor engine
- Make a poster, display or video about tractor safety poster
- GPS-guided information poster
- Make a video, exhibit or display about welding safety
- Make video or poster that shows what tractors are for and how they're used
Make a display, report or video about how to decide which tractor to buy. Compare costs and features
- Make a display that shows the differences between mechanical and hydraulic transmissions and lifts.
- Restore, recondition or rebuild a tractor. Show what you did with a photo series or video of the steps you took
- Write a business plan for starting your own tractor-based business (lawn mowing, custom farm work, etc)
What a judge is looking for in the small engines project (evaluation sheet)
What a judge is looking for in the tractor project (evaluation sheet)
Guide to county fair judging
Some counties require record keeping for fairs.
Reviewed in 2018